Many approaches to spelling ignore the links between spelling, reading and writing. In Spelling: An Integrated Approach Wendy Bean and Chrys Bouffler argue that learning and spelling develop as a consequence of engaging in the process of reading and writing. Bean and Bouffler outline a comprehensive method, taking account of spelling as the means of accessing reading and writing. They incorporate recent research and provide strategies for success. Spelling: An Integrated Approach provides a range of teaching and learning strategies that incorporate reading and writing, with the main focus on the development of standard spelling.
These strategies include:
- practical ideas for establishing a supportive classroom environment;
- establishing the guiding principles of a spelling program;
- activities to sensitise language learners to words in context;
- a range of procedures to encourage risk-taking;
- proofreading strategies and activities;
- guidelines for assessment and evaluation.