ECP is not legally obliged to comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) However, we are committed to protecting the privacy of personal information that we collect. We will use reasonable endeavours to deal with personal information in accordance with the National Privacy Principles (NPPs) set out in the Act.
What is personal information?
In summary, 'personal information' is information or an opinion, in any form, about an individual that identifies the individual, or from which his or her identity can reasonably be ascertained.
What sort of information do we collect?
There are two categories of information that we may collect about you:
- personal information that may be provided to us when you or someone else in your organisation is dealing with us via the Website, by telephone or fax or in person;
- information that you provide to us in the course of making a purchase from the Website; and
- information, generated by our computer system, which tracks traffic on the Website (see the further information below under “Cookies”).
How do we use your personal information?
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- if you are, or an organisation who you represent is, obtaining services from us, we may need to use your personal information to:
- verify your identity;
- enable you to carry out a purchase from the Website; and/or
- conduct, or arrange for a third party to conduct, credit and fraud checks;
- to assist you or your organisation to apply to receive services from us;
- to provide you or your organisation with services and to administer those services;
- to obtain information from you to research and improve our services and develop new services;
- to market and promote our services to you or your organisation (including by phone, email, sms, MMS and direct mail).
If you do not want us to contact you with marketing and promotional messages and material, please contact us using one of the methods set out below under “How to contact us”.
When do we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to organisations and individuals outside of ECP if you have asked us to do so and/or in the course of using the information for the purposes set out above. These individuals and organisations could include those that carry out the following functions for us:
- contacting you about services that we are providing to you or your organisation; responding to your questions;
- assessing applications that you submit to us;
- our mailing services; billing and debt-recovery;
- verifying your identity; conducting credit and fraud checks installing, operating, maintaining and repairing our information technology services, including the Website;
- providing us with legal and accounting advice and other professional services;
- providing us with marketing and promotional services and market research;
- and analysing use of the Website.
Accuracy and security of the personal information that we hold
We take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information that we collect is accurate, up to date and complete. Please contact us if the personal information that we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, and we will take reasonable steps to correct the information.
We also take reasonable steps to protect personal information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Accessing your personal information
Under the Act, you have a right to access your personal information, although the Act does provide for some exceptions to this general rule. For security reasons, you may be required to apply in writing before we will give you access to your personal information. We may charge a fee for retrieving your personal information and providing it to you.
How to contact us